||Ring of Saturn Recipe Database
Dessert - Mom's Apple Pie
by Lee Gibson
||One day, I'll be able to make an apple pie like my mom does. It's one of my major aspirations. In the mean time, here's the recipe. If you get it right, you'll know it. |
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup margarine -- divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 5 apples -- large tart
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon butter -- optional
||1. Pie Crust: Mix flour & salt. Cut in 1/2 c. margarine until mixture resembles cornmeal. Cut in 1/2 c. margarine to pea-size. Lightly mix in ice water. Roll dough into a firm ball and chill for several hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 1/2 hour before rolling.
2. Apples: Peel apples, cut in quarters, remove core and cut into 1/4" slices. Mix sugar (can use 1/2 brown sugar if desired) tapioca and spices, mix into apple slices.
3. Assemble: Roll 1/2 of dough, cut into 13" circle. Fold into quarters, put in 9" deep-dish pie pan and unfold to cover pan. Place spiced apples into crust. Dot with butter if desired. Roll remaining dough, cut into 12" circle. Fold into quarters, place on top of apples and unfold to cover pie. Fold edge of top crust over edge of bottom crust, crimp to seal all around. Cut slits in top crust to vent. Sprinkle top crust with cinnamon sugar if desired.
4. Bake at 450 deg. for 10 min., then turn oven to 350 deg. and continue baking for 50 minutes.
Serve with cinnamon ice cream. If you can't find cinnamon ice cream, cry yourself to sleep, knowing that true apple pie nirvana has eluded you, and go get some nice vanilla bean ice cream instead.
|Time to Make
||1 hour + 50 mins bake time|