Soups and Stews - Cream of Carrot Soup with Fresh Ginger
by Rusty Nejdl
||I brought this soup to a party and thought it would be thin enough to serve with a turkey baster. This is a very thick and great smelling November type of soup. Fresh ginger, leaks, and nutmeg will make your house smell wonderful.|
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2 lbs. fresh carrots, peeled
- 3 leeks, sliced in half lengthwise and cleaned
- 1 sweet potato
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 pint heavy cream
||1) In a large pot, bring 7 cups of chicken stock to a boil.
2) Chop all vegetables into small pieces.
3) In a sauté pan, over medium to high heat, melt half of the butter. sauté vegetables with ginger and nutmeg for approximately 15 minutes until vegetables are all browned. Add remaining butter as needed.
4) Add sautéed vegetables to stock, reduce heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 30 minutes.
5) Let cool to room temperature and then purée in a blender. Soup should be thick and smooth. After blending two thirds of the stock and vegetables, check the consistency of the blended soup. Add chicken stock if the soup is too thick.
6) Add salt and pepper.
7) To serve: Add approximately 2 tbsp of cream per serving and re-heat. Do not let it boil.
8) Serve in warmed bowls.
||12 bowls of soup|
|Time to Make